Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Raindrops keep falling on my head

It's 3.32 am and I can't get to sleep.

Moments like these when you think about randoms, staring at the single dot of light on your air-conditioner. I thought about the talk I had with Mom in the jacuzzi five hours ago, and how she lost complete contact with her best friend from her girlish days. She told me how they used to be inseparable, and how her best friend would only board the bus if she saw my mother's waving hand out of the rear window every morning to school. Now they have lost complete contact, my mother tried calling, but it seems like she changed her mobile number. I saw that wistful look on her face in the pool, she thought it was too dark for me to notice.

I thought about the frenzied studying taking place, the cramming of concepts and formulas in which we will hold and only finally regurgitating when November disembark-- and promptly forgetting everything once that three hours are up. The vehement fight to park one's behind safely into a local institution to only begin on another vicious pursuit for yet another spot in firms and companies, in another word, to seek for a job, which will undoubtedly evolve inexorably into life's typical hamster's wheel, we, the hamsters running and never ending, for the money, it's always about the money. When will it not be about money?

I thought about friends, the all-consuming center of our teenage years. The friends from secondary classes, the friends from netball, the friends from junior college. Friends so vastly different from one another, but somehow or another, we always end up with the same problems that rock the boat. I thought about being 18 and what it heralds, all the vices that defines this generation's hip factor? I don't fancy the number 8 much though, 8 feels like its near the end, two more numbers and you end a chapter in life, mate. And as so many say, this is the best chapter I will ever live.

I thought about National day and the theme song this year. They seem to lose the flavor of a national song steadily every year. What every happened to good old hearty "We are Singapore, we are Singapore. We will stand together to hear the lion roar."? I remember churning it out gustily when I was a kid, and thinking childishly that we've got the best national day song in the whole wide world.

I thought about love, and why it is so much harder to forgive love than to forgive hate. Somewhere in a book, I came across this line "The one who holds the most power in a relationship is the one who cares the least." Apt, rather. People rant about living in a society full of facades and masquerades, but they never stop to think how necessary it is, this form of self-protection. Emotional investments has heavy costs and if any, uncertain returns.

I thought about the scene in the flick Men in Black, in which both of them opened a locker and realized an entire world is living inside, and how the scene expanded to show that their world is only another tiny locker in a bigger universe.

I have funny thoughts.

Its 4.53 am, another day beckons.